University of Minnesota – Bridge 9
The City of Minneapolis began a large scale, multi-phased maintenance project on the Northern Pacific Railroad Bridge No. 9 in 2012 which is expected to be completed in 2026. In 2020, Loeffler began work on a two-phase relocation and replacement of the steam and condensate lines for the University.
In Phase 1 a temporary steel bridge was erected to support the temporary steam and condensate pipes. New piping was installed, and inspections were carried out. Following inspections, the existing pipe support system was demolished. Once the City completes critical rehabilitation on Piers No. 6 & 7, Loeffler will begin Phase 2 installing a permanent catwalk and completing all tie-ins.
The Northern Pacific Railroad Bridge No. 9 was constructed in 1922 and was largely used to carry freight over the Mississippi River. In 1986, the bridge was acquired by the City of Minneapolis and has since been converted into a pedestrian bridge. Bridge 9 connects the University of Minnesota’s East and West Bank Campuses. Steam and condensate are routed beneath the bridge from the Main Energy Plant on the East Bank Campus to service the West Bank campus buildings.